Forty-Fourth Annual Report of St. Brigid's Orphanage (1900)

Dublin Core

Title

Forty-Fourth Annual Report of St. Brigid's Orphanage (1900)

Date

1901

Creator

Sisters of the Holy Faith; St. Brigid's Orphanage

Description

Forty-Fourth Report of St. Brigid’s Orphanage (1901). It is submitted by the Sisters of the Holy Faith. The report describes that the orphanage was founded ‘to save Catholic Orphans and Catholic destitute children from the greatest misfortune that could befall them, loss of Faith.’ The report details the number of orphans; reunification of orphans with parents; orphan adoptions; orphan apprenticeships; the schooling of orphans; and the rearing of orphans. Examples of orphan circumstances are depicted. Proselytism and Protestant institutions are mentioned. It notes that admissions were mostly for children in danger of losing their Catholic Faith. Protocols for religious instruction and education, in general, is detailed. The benefits of the boarding-out (foster care) system is discussed; and premiums paid to nurses (foster parents) is noted. It thanks the clergy, guild associations, and Mr. Steiner for their work in collecting donations. The report discusses the work of the Holy Faith schools. It notes the work of Margaret Aylward and Fr John Gowan in establishing the schools. Acknowledgement is given to the Discalced Carmelite Fathers and the ‘gentlemen of the Confraternity’ who donated its Clarendon Street Concert Hall to the Holy Faith Sisters during school renovations. It explains how Holy Faith Schools are not in receipt of state aid. It provides statistics on attendance; and of children who completed First Communion, and Confirmation. It accounts for the number of children in attendance at Holy Faith schools who had previously been in Protestant schools. It specifies female training in that they 'get a special course of training in all kinds of housework at our convents on Saturdays'. It details the benefits of a Catholic education over a secular education. It notes the work of the lending library. A list of benefactors and donations to St. Brigid’s Orphanage and Holy Faith Schools is listed (including clergymen and guild associations). In the appendix is a letter of solicitation for support, donations, and subscriptions. Also, in the appendix is a description of assistance of the Sisters of the Holy Faith to the Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen Of Charity, in Little Strand Street; and an extract of a pamphlet published by his Lordship the Bishop of Southwark and kindly presented to St. Brigid’s Orphanage, titled ‘Practical Direction and Suggestions as to Appointed Testamentary Guardian.’

Subject

St. Brigid's Orphanage
46 Eccles Street, Dublin, Ireland
Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland
Orphan statistics
Boarding-out system
Nurses (foster parents)
Education
Holy Faith schools
Sisters of the Holy Faith
Proselytism
Protestant institutions
Finance
Benefactors
Gowan, John (1817-1897)
Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Charity
Aylward, Margaret (1810-1889)

Source

Reports 1896-1901 (HFA/O/ES/F/33/SBO-AR-1896-1901)

Publisher

John F. Fowler (3 Crow Street and 24 Temple Lane, Dublin)

Identifier

HFA1-O-ES-F-33-SBO-AR44.pdf

Type

Text

Format

PDF

Rights

Copyright © & Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) belong to the Holy Faith Sisters.
This resource may be used and reproduced (with accreditation) under the following license:
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)

Language

eng

Text Item Type Metadata

Ref Code

HFA1/O/ES/F/33/SBO-AR44

Existence and location of originals

Sisters of the Holy Faith Congregational Archives, Aylward House, Holy Faith Convent, Glasnevin, Dublin 11

Extent and medium

1 report, 63 pages

Files

HFA1-O-ES-F-33-SBO-AR44.pdf

Citation

Sisters of the Holy Faith; St. Brigid's Orphanage, “Forty-Fourth Annual Report of St. Brigid's Orphanage (1900),” Holy Faith Sisters Digital Archive, accessed September 28, 2022, http://hfsdigitalarchive.org/view-collections/items/show/55.

Output Formats